Monday, January 3, 2011

a collection of black and white



Ask and ye shall receive. Pop and Martha got me a Holga for Christmas and I immediately popped in some 120 film and began to play. As far as cameras go, this "toy camera" is not very sophisticated, but I'm hoping that it will add some new dimensions to my photography. Plastic lens, fixed focal length (60mm), fixed shutter speed (1/100 sec), fixed aperture (f/11), and the potential for light leaks every which way... nice!

Here, the square frames, slightly washed-out look, and grainy texture all create an atmosphere of mystery. The overcast, foggy day on which I shot these photographs adds a ghostly feel to some of these images, and I think I succeeded in capitalizing on that with the double exposure using the Charles River as a backdrop for a shot of the Olde Irish Alehouse.


A small statue of a boy and girl on a neighbor's lawn. To think that only a few days ago, over a foot of snow hid them from sight. Now, a ring of grass surround them, awaiting the next snowfall.


I took this photograph of the Charles River from Bridge St., on the Dedham-West Roxbury line. It looks so pristine here, white snow having replaced the brown, silty water that normally meets the eye.


My first double exposure, a shot of the Alehouse combined with that of the Charles. There is new meaning here when one says the Alehouse sits on the river. I can't yet identify what makes this image so exciting for me, but there is a sense of motion and transition, of fading out of one scene and into another, as if I'm standing there and panning, first seeing the river and then slowly watching the building come into view.


The layer of fog hugging the ground, coupled with the wide, white expanse with the lone goal sitting in the middle of the field really captured my eye. I tried several angles, some of which included the school building next to this field, but ultimately, I decided on this shot. Now that I can see the photo, I really like the way the vignetting in the corners directs the viewer toward the goal in the frame. And what better image of winter than that of a playing field, grass beneath layers of ice and snow and a goal by itself, players a memory of the past and a thing of the future, but not a reality in the present.

No comments: