Thursday, January 21, 2010

photographing children




One of the reason I love photography so much is the ability it gives me to capture and preserve moments that otherwise are fleeting. Our emotions flow from one to the next, but there are times when we want to revisit a look of love, a proud smile, or the intense grimace that comes along with chasing a soccer ball down the field.



Children possess qualities that make them so fun to photograph. For one, they don't hide much. If they're happy, they show it. If they're sad, angry, embarrassed, or surprised, you will know that, too. They also don't worry so much about who else is around to witness what they're doing. They get absorbed in their own little worlds and whether or not someone is standing by with a camera to document their every move matters little to them. Finally, they're constantly moving around and they're so unpredictable! I never know what they will do next or what expressions might show up on their faces.



One of the things I love most is putting myself on their level, whether it's crawling around on my hands and knees so I can see children eye-to-eye or lying on my stomach to photograph a crawling baby. I see the world from a very different perspective -- theirs -- and gain a bit more understanding of how children see things.



This past year, I've been incredibly blessed to gain new family, which includes two of the most adorable boys. They do their share of "performing" for the camera, but more often than not, they're content to let me snap away while they do their own thing.



I took these photos at a wedding this fall, and during a trip to the Children's Museum in Boston, MA. If you're looking for a place to let kids run loose, the museum would be the place to do it! Special thanks to their mom for letting me spend time with her kids and share these photos. Special thanks also to my amazing fiancée, who has brought some wonderful people into my life.





No comments: